Wednesday, January 13, 2010

That's So 2007

There's a lot of stuff in the news right now that smacks of that fateful year. There's also a lot of stuff that does not smack it, but rather strokes it gently. Such as:

- The Leno-Conan mess at NBC. I know you're all familiar with the situation, and you've likely heard that Conan has announced his resignation. This means that NBC will soon be naming his inevitable, long-awaited replacement: Lane Kiffin.

No, seriously, they'll name Leno and put an end to the long national nightmare that was completely their own doing. Has NBC learned from anything at all, in the past three years or so, about "crisis management" and "planning ahead"? At least the Imus situation came from nowhere; but they had five years to prepare for the Tonight Show handover. It even goes beyond April 2007 incompetencies, if such a thing is possible.

But anyway, best of luck to Conan. I always loved watching him in high school and I'm sure his second act is right down the road. And hey, he wouldn't be the first person to leave NBC for greater success at Fox.

- So, what's this deal with Harold Ford Jr. running for the New York Senate seat? Even though he's from, like, Tennessee? Can someone explain this to me?

- Also 2007: Racial gaffes! Harry Reid has been the talk of the town, probably much to the relief of Rod Blagojevich. This is too bad, because Blago's comment - that he was "blacker" than the President - was pretty bizarre/hilarious, even for him. What made me laugh even harder was his statement afterwards: "I deeply apologize for the way that was said and having said it. Obviously, I am not blacker than President Obama."

18 comments:

Keyboard Jockey said...

CG

It's nice Ford apologized but on the other hand he showed weakness in his distancing himself from Imus. It didn't go unnoticed. I have no interest anymore in Ford political aspirations.

It's too bad Governor Patterson couldn't just laugh off SNL, I love the Jersey Jokes. Maybe if had mentioned what he liked about the SNL Schtick, he would have come across better. Patterson should go on SNL and make fun of all of them it would probably give SNL a ratings boost.

Fake Cardinal Egan, bejeez. said...

Patterson can go on Conan's new show on Fox when he jumps off the NBC Titanic

DL said...

I thought Patterson came off very well this morning. Frankly,it really surprised me.

Keyboard Jockey said...

There is something eerily familiar about this threat Jeff Zucker is making. I just can't put my finger on it....

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/jeff-zucker-threatens-to-ice-conan-ill-keep-you-off-the-air-for-3-12-years/

FakePhyllis said...

Hey CollegeGirl,

I tell you wha-ut!

Imus was right on the money this morning (as usual). Lane Kiffin is a back-stabbing weasel leaving my beloved Vols with no coach. Maybe Warner has a suggestion?

The other Tennessean in the news (Harold Ford, JR) is not in my good graces until he sufficiently apologizes and sucks up to Imus. I don't think he's going to be your Senator either.

Gov. Paterson proved to be a very good guest -- unfortunately, I thought I'd have to shoot myself to get through the interview with Stephen Hunter. A wonderful writer, not so much a talker though.

Looking forward to the I-Man and F-Man together tomorrow.

dee said...

Nothing like starting off the morning with Fred! I wish he and Degan could have had a conversation...

Jeff Zucker said...

You can email Fred...
Tucsonflash@hotmail.com

Contessa Brewer said...

Degan needs to get out of Imus in the Morning before she loses all of her journalistic credibility!

Imus practically has her doing sports with Warner now...

Fake Cardinal Egan, bejeez. said...

What the hell was that song Imus sang at 8:35a on FBN when describing Prince Ragweed?

FakePhyllis said...

Hi CollegeGirl,

Just listened to the 8:35a rap riff from Imus. Very interesting. Maybe he heard it from Wyatt's I-Pod?

I'm pretty sure Charles joined him on the last phrase, which was even more disturbing. Don't know my rap music too well, but hope to God it wasn't Imus and Charles singing "Single Ladies -- Put a Ring on It". Whatever it was, they seemed very happy with their effort.

Maybe they are an old, married couple after all.

FakePhyllis said...

CG,

My husband asks if I don't remember "Ahab the Arab", the Sheik of the burning sand -- I do now that he sang it for me. Fatima, and the camel named Clyde.

Imus is too cool for school.

CG said...

I did not catch Friday's program, but if it involves Imus and Charles attempting to put a ring on it, then I am most certainly going to listen

Fake Cardinal Egan, bejeez. said...

omg - the Ray Stevens classic. :O

Jets fan said...

Yes, Ray Stevens has a new song out...

www.raystevens.com

The song has gone viral on the Internet!

CG said...

Go Jets indeed!

Google says the name of the song is "Ahab the Arab," by Kinky. So there ya go.

So I looked up Prince al-Walid, and yeah, there's definitely a strong resemblance between him and a certain newsman. I'm not sure if that's funny or creepy.

dee said...

Um, what the hell is that post from hxr?

Yes, go Jets! Nice picks Warner.

At the risk of being non-PC, is there ANYTHING more tedious than the Imus show on MLK day?

Jethro Tull said...

What's tedious are those 'comedy bit' rants by Mr. McCord..

Mr. McCord has worn those rants out...

Mark Sanchez Rules!

CG said...

Are you SURE you don't want any Uggs? :-)