Wednesday, October 29, 2008

We Report, You Decide Not To Watch

Just think - in less than a week, this election will be OVER! The obsession has gripped the media since 2006 will subside forever! Or at least until June 2010, when we start talking about Election 2012.

Speaking of nonstop news coverage, I made a very interesting discovery a few months ago about the importance of certain news networks.

I had moved into my new apartment about a week before, and one evening I decided to sit down and explore my new cable channels. The apartment only allows cable from a certain company, and I wanted to see what stations they provided. I scanned though the local channels, then the sports stations, then finally hit the news channels.

I didn’t realize it at first, mostly because I’ve barely watched it in the past year and a half. But there was a certain channel missing in the lineup. My cable company doesn’t provide MSNBC.

Oh, it has all the others. CNN, Fox News, CNN Headline News, two CSPANs, even CNBC. And if I pay extra money for premium channels, I can get Fox Business News. But no MSNBC.

I get everything else. I get 32 stations that play music. I get this bizarre trippy station that shows security camera footage of all the major local highways and overpasses, whilst Muzak plays in the background. (I am hoping that this is an actual channel, and not the hobby of a mass murderer in my building.) I also get the various ESPNs, including one that, in the thick of the pennant races and football, once broadcasted a middle-school Scrabble tournament.

Yet, despite all of this, no MSNBC. When I got my new cable system I was hoping against the odds that I’d get RFD. But even if Imus and Co. had completely behaved themselves, I STILL wouldn’t have been able to watch them.

So, dear reader, you have to keep me posted of all the various goings-on over there on Election Night. Some of us can only afford the "relevant channels" package.

8 comments:

Al said...

No MSNBC? wow...heavenly!

I cannot tell a lie...I actually sneak a peak at Morning Joe about 6:08AM daily, just hear what Joe has to say...but I only give him like 2 minutes to get his point across, then I'm outta there! Joe is fairly fair.

85 bazzilion cable channels out there, and only about 3 are worth watching...

...and I love the way Deirdre rags on Imus...keeps him from straying to far to the Left...lol

Her and Bernard rock!(or is it she and Bernard)

Al said...

MSNBC and the New York Times will officially be changing their names to MSObama and the New York Obama Times, respectively, when Obama becomes President-Elect Obama...

Your cable company sounds like fun, CG...

CG said...

Well, I have to say, no problems with the cable company so far...:-)

I keep hearing stories about how the Obama campaign has been fairly inconsiderate to the press corps on a number of occasions. I wonder if the NYT and the rest are aware that they'll have to deal with that for four years if he gets elected? Who knows.

I admit I find it funny when Deirdre and her husband start arguing...my favorite one may have been when she made the "hair dryer" revelation. :-)

Anonymous said...

I agree, CG. My favorite part of the show is when Deirdre and Imus tease each other. (I remember that hair dryer revelation!) It's funny, but Deirdre helped reassure me about my relationship with my husband a few years ago. We'd been married three years at that point,and our teasing had increased to the point where I began to wonder if we were "normal." Then I heard Deirdre one morning when the subject came up about her and the Iman's bickering--she said, "We entertain each other." That's it! And they entertain me too!

And. . .Obama has run such a good campaign, that if he's slipped a bit in his treatment of the press, I think it's understandable. Nothing's perfect.

Esme

Queenpat said...

I have basic cable. I hardly watch as is.

Al said...

Just a note about the Imus Ranch Record...in the last week it has moved from Number 35 to Number 15 on one of the Sirius - XM Progressive Country channels, just behind Lucinda's new CD!

Imus Ranch Record ain't even peaked out yet...it is just gettin' started!

CG said...

That is awesome about the Ranch Record! And that's a great story, Esme. :-)

And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't watch MSNBC...

Mike said...

Imus fan that I am, I'm fairly hooked to MSNBC. I know I shouldn't be. I guess it's like a Larry Craig situation, hating on the gay peoples in public but playing footsie in the men's room. I flipped it on after Mr. Russert died, and I really only go back to Fox for Cavuto, Brit Hume, and Sean Hannity.

Still waiting for Olbermann's head to explode, like Jeff Greenfield predicted :)