Monday, September 8, 2008

"I Had A Pulmonary Embolism And All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt"

My dear friends and fans and members of the I-Family,

Two weeks ago today, I suffered a pulmonary embolism, a blood clot that travelled through my heart and lodged itself at the junction between my pulmonary artery and both lungs. I passed out, was revived by a bonafide Angel of New York City, (With the abundance of unconscious male bodies strewn about the sidewalks of 32nd street at 5:30 A.M., I am honored he chose me to rescue) and after dragging myself to the Rainbow Studios, wound up being accompanied by Christy Mac via ambulance to St. Vincent's Hospital, where my team of truly gifted doctors, led by Dr. Frederick Rappaport and Dr. Tom Bernik, as well as an amazing nursing staff, virtually saved my life. A clot was removed from my leg, a filter was placed in the artery between my heart and kidney, and will be undergoing blood thinner therapy on an ongoing basis.

Today I finally return home to my family, where I will be recuperating for the next couple of weeks, until I get the go ahead to go back to work live in the studio. I'll continue to phone in each morning, from my fortress of solitude on Long Island, and should be back doing stand up shows beginning in October.

From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank all of you who kept me in your thoughts and prayers, sent cards, and made donations to the ranch during this very frightening and challenging time in my life. I was deeply moved by the enormous outpouring of love and support from in you all, and I want you to know that, in the darkest moments over the past couple of weeks, the blessing of your kind thoughtfulness was instrumental in aiding my recovery.

I am honored to know, and continue to be amazed by, the devotion and loyalty of the special group of people known as the fans and supporters of the Imus in the Morning Program. You are, indeed, the best of the best, and I truly appreciate the support.

I know I am a very lucky man today, as I certainly dodged a bullet here, but I vow to use that gift for good, and not evil.

Hopefully, the removal of the clots will make me funnier than I was before. It certainly didn't do anything to improve the size of my penis.

Love always
The Robio

15 comments:

Al said...

Hurry back, Rob...in your absence, Karith is gettin' way too much air time..

laree said...

It is so good to hear from you Rob, God Bless and I pray, for your speedy recovery.

channelXRFR said...

Hey Rob,

You have been a part of my life for over 20 years, Not ready to loose you. So happy to hear you are doing well and best wishes for a continued recovery.

ChanX

BTW: The call ins have been great, LMAO! You still got it.

Janice said...

SOOOO glad you're on the mend! You are truly one of the good guys! Take care, get well, and get back on air with the I-Man soon.

sturgeone said...

well....my comment got on another thread so I'll just leave it at since you dodged a bullet.....LOTS of us who like to laugh also dodged it.....welcome back el Robbo......

whatever happened to the music things you used to do?

Queenpat said...

Thanks to CG for the post and thanks to Rob for writing it. As doped up on L-rd know what he could have gotten for the stuff he was taking, Rob was funnier than ever!

Loking forward to more of the magic that is Rob Bartlett...

Queenpat said...

I'm LOOKING forward, too!

time for bed...

Fake Cardinal Egan, bejeez. said...

Rob,

Good to hear from you. Get your ass back to Morristown so I can see you again. ;)

~Lenny/FCE

dee said...

Rob,
I'm glad you're home and make sure you take good care of yourself!

You must know by now how much you're loved by your fans.

I only listen, so as far as I'm concerned just keep phoning it in until you feel perfectly well.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob,

Your show at Mohegan was terrific. You're the best! I'm enjoying your call-ins--especially the Godfather. Thanks for your letter--it's beautiful.

Esme

JOHN JAGNOW said...

HURRY BACK ROBIO BUT, I DON'T AGREE WITH AL ( KARITH CAN HAVE ALL THE AIR TIME SHE CAN GET) IN FACT ( IF SHE IS EVER IN THE MARKET FOR A MIDDLE AGED WHITE GUY I'M THERE:),,,HOPE TO SEE YA BACK SOON ... MAY CARDINAL EGAN BE PRAYING FOR YA....

Queenpat said...

This is one guy "phoning it in" we all look forward to!

This ayem's Larry King was a hit!

Mike said...

Rob, can't wait to have you as one of the first faces I wake up to each morning again. You're (almost) as hot as Deirdre.

And I'm sorry to hear about the last, err, problem that you mentioned. Perhaps Fred Schneider could help you out with a sales pitch for Enzyte? ::wink wink::

Keep feeling better!

Queenpat said...

"Smilin' Rob" for Enzyte?

Just in time for the Holidays... "Santa and his North Pole"

Anonymous said...

I've missed you Rob!! Hurry back (well, only when the docs say so) The show hasn't been the same without you. Best Wishes, Sherri