Tuesday, June 3, 2008

It Was Six Months Ago Today

when I woke up way too early, looked at the time, and happily jumped out of bed. That morning, December 3, was maybe the first time in my life when I was ecstatic to get up before dawn.

A few months ago I relistened to the beginning of the first broadcast, and I was instantly transported back to that morning - excited with anticipation, wired on caffeine after only a few hours of sleep, not entirely sure what I was about to hear. I recommend going back and listening to that first ten minutes - it is gut-wrenching, but in a good way. You relive the emotion of that morning, to put it mildly.

There were so many classic moments during the broadcast, particularly in that first half-hour. I could list them all, but describing stuff like this is like describing a trip to a theme park. No matter how incredible the experience, whenever you retell the story to other people, it always sounds lame. ("And then, we got on this big roller coaster? That went upside down twice? And when we got to the top, we all screamed and grabbed each other? Man, that was awesome.") But you know what I'm talking about - you were listening too. Some of you had RFD, and some of you were able to see it at Town Hall. I envy you.

To this day, when Charles does the news and says that I'm listening to WABC, I want to say to him, "Seriously?" It's weird, and not just because I'm talking to a random person on the radio who isn't even in the room. It's also odd because I still can't believe everything that has happened in the past 14 months.

Anyway. Happy half-year anniversary.

9 comments:

Bruce said...

It seems like yesterday. I too was up bright and early listening the stream on my computer. It was refreshing to hear our man again.

But it seems that many of our crowd is dis-satisfied with Imus. It is sad to think how hard we fought to get him back and some think it is their mission to say "He is not the Imus" we once knew. Well I am not one of them.

You have been a beacon in the darkness of those 8 months. And I thank you. Keep up the dialog.

Mike said...

You are so right about those first ten minutes. I was watching RFD and when the I-Man got up on that stool and said "five minutes after the hour" I clapped my hands and giggled like a giddy two-year old.
I think I'll go watch my recording of that tonight, after Satan gives her non-concession speech.

Happy half-year to you all as well, and thank you, CollegeGirl, for this blog.

Queenpat said...

No, I do not want to relisten to those first ten minutes, because I remember screaming at the radio "STOP THAT!!! JUST SHUT UP AND GET EVEN!!!STOP APOLOGIZING!!!"

Waited 14 months and it was like Imus was back on Al Sharptongue's show.

I don't want the Old Imus, I don't want the New Imus...I want the FREE Imus, the one not shackled by "conversations" on race, and protocol.

As one fine tune ( and the only one by Elvis that is in my playa) says: " A little LESS conversation and a little MORE action"

Al said...

Imus in the Morning has evolved nicely...

The only thing Imus is shackeled by are the commercial breaks....

Imus actually seems highly interested in, motivated by, and focused on ALL of his conversations....

Queenpat said...

Not getting into any disagreeement. I just know I am not alone in that opinion and not from the other two blogs.

FREE Imus! One more Yuk, baby.

dee said...

CG,
I still remember how excited I was on Dec 3 - my husband was thrilled because I started getting the coffeepot ready at night, and getting up earlier than him to feed the cat (which of course is always the FIRST thing that must be done in the morning!)

It's funny how we take things for granted until they're suddenly yanked away from us - and especially when they're yanked away in a cruel way that infuriates us. It was great to hear the show again this morning. The Clintons make such great material - I hope Bill Clinton keeps visiting the show for a while.

Danielle said...

Hello Imus fans...my name is Sid Rosenberg and you may remember me? Oh don't worry I'm doing just fine! Hosting my own 4.5 hour morning show in Miami and finally doing the type of show I've always wanted to do. My email is sidsback2001@yahoo.com if interested. Be well I-Fans!

dee said...

Um, Sid, why are you calling yourself Danielle?

CG said...

IMO, the first ten minutes were very upbeat; they didn't start the "I'm sorry" stuff until maybe 30 minutes later. In that 10 minutes, you had their very first aircheck; you had Charles doing the news for the first time, and all of the fans screaming and drowning him out; you had the I-Man making his grand entrance; you had that awesome introduction thing going on ("From {name of hometown}, {name of castmember}.") As great as it was to hear it, I bet it was ten times better to see it.

As for the apology speech he made that day...I thought that it was appropriate, because the whole incident was "the elephant in the room," and he had to address it eventually. I haven't relistened to it, but when I heard it that morning I was almost in tears.

What DOES get annoying, I will admit, is when he brings up the situation out of nowhere and starts apologizing again. I think that turns a lot of people off. Also, it doesn't make sense when you consider his audience. The fans have already forgiven him, or they wouldn't be listening in the first place. The alleged "monitors" can't forgive him, because it would jeopardize their job. And the Rutgers girls aren't even listening!

And no one should worry about disagreeing with each other here - my only rule is taken from the Ron Burgundy handbook, "Stay classy." Happily, no one here has ever broken that rule. :-)

Meanwhile, I'm going to keep hoping that I'll someday find a bootleg of that first program...