Monday, February 25, 2008

I'd Like To Thank The Academy


If you had an update within six days....YOU LOST! Sorry about the long wait...things got a little busy around here. I got caught up in some college-y things. Anyway.

If you paid attention to the Oscars this year, you may have heard that there wasn't a lot of "star power," in the sense that there weren't a lot of "celebrity" nominees. That usually doesn't happen. It definitely wasn't the case six years ago, when A Beautiful Mind won best picture. That movie had an all-star cast with Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly, Ed Harris...and another familiar guy. A guy very special to the Imus in the Morning program.

Watch this clip and see if you can figure out who I'm talking about. It's really long, but you can skip the first five minutes. The only part you need to watch is the Nobel Prize speech and the little reception afterwards. Here's another hint: You'll spot this mystery person around the 5:45 and the 8:12 marks.

(And in case you're wondering how I found this, I discovered it while wasting time at the New York Times website. I'm not sure which is geekier: the prospect of me watching A Beautiful Mind and spotting this with the naked eye, or me wasting time at nytimes.com.)
Can you figure out who it is?

12 comments:

Phyllis said...

Dear CollegeGirl,

I do declare, I believe I spotted a 'morning star' in the clip. To phrase it "Jeopardy-style": Alex, for $400, is the answer "Who is Rob Bartlett?"

Being a chic geek myself, I pay close attention to the background and thought I recognized the ambling gait of our Mr. Bartlett.

If I am wrong, then in the words of Emily Litella, never mind.

CollegeGirl said...

Hey Phyllis! Long time no see!

As for the answer to the question...you are very close, but no cigar yet. However, I will say that you have your eyes on the right person...so keep guessing. :-)

Mike said...

Anyone see the new wabcradio.com? Looks great and now they have the "highlight" interview of each I-show.

CollegeGirl said...

Whoa! The WABC site looks GREAT! The last time I went there, I kept being bombarded with popups, and the site as a whole looked poorly designed...but now it looks REALLY nice. Thanks for pointing that out. :-)

zoeyr said...

I have an idea it is Warner Wolf!

CollegeGirl said...

zoeyr, you got it! :-) Good job!

Phyllis said...

Dear CollegeGirl,

Warner Wolf? -- didn't know he had won an Oscar...tee hee.

Warner is the man!

Study hard this weekend, CollegeGirl -- see ya later.

Your Southern FakeFriend Phyllis

Mike said...

Thank God I was in the car this morning and not in front of my TV when Warner was doing his sportscast with a tie on but no shirt. EWWW

Al said...

The 'NEW' WABC website looks like every other Citadel website now...they are losing money like crazy at Citadel.

KTBL

KABC

Breaking News! In an effort to cut even more costs, WABC is going to hire Fred Imus to host a show!...lol

Mike said...

WHOAA just read in the paper that Citadel fired John Gambling. Not sure how many of you live in New York, but that's a pretty big deal here because Mayor Bloomberg does his weekly radio appearance in that spot. Now the incoherent Curtis Sliwa is to take over. I'd much rather hear Lou Ruffino get that spot, and do Paul Harvey impersonations for two hours. (Or maybe an extended "Imus in the Morning Radio Theater of the Air?")

Al said...

Nobody does better impressions than Lou "the parrot' Rufino...he sounds more like GW Bush than Bush does.

Give Lou the 10 - 12 slot..give Bernie the 12 - 3pm slot and WABC ROCKS!

Then change the call letters from WABC to WIMUS...

CollegeGirl said...

Whoa, good call, those websites are nearly identical in layout...

I'm with you guys - I'm shocked about this Gambling/Weber thing. The Imus guys are certainly funny enough to get their own slots...though if the station slotted Warner, they'd have to put a "no-nudity" clause in his contract.

(And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who finds Paul Harvey impressions funny. Lou is hysterical.)

"WIMUS is on a roll..."