Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Sacred Cows

This morning's Washington Times contains a special ode to RFD-TV, written by Ken Tomlinson, former editor of Reader's Digest and hardcore Imus fan.

"So how did this hopeless news junkie spend the mid-morning after the stunning news from the Iowa presidential caucuses?" he asks. "Watching recreational tractor driving in Nebraska — on RFD TV. I mean watching geezers riding vintage 1940s John Deeres while touting the joys of tractor riding and the beauty of the Nebraska countryside made possible because the tractor caravans top out at 13 miles per hour."

How did Mr. Tomlinson become such a convert? Well, he's been an Imus fan for 20 years, and he discovered the channel when Imus returned. He's like a lot of city people - as well as people interested in current events - who have since become addicted to the rural programming.

"I never really understood how irritating are the news bunnies of Fox and MSNBC," he adds, "until I experienced the soothing rhythm of three consecutive hours of cattle auctions from Nebraska and Texas and Arkansas." (There is no mention of the "Recto Rocket," alas, but I suppose they don't want to scare off the Beltway people. Or to give Bob Packwood any ideas.)

Finally, Mr. Tomlinson poignantly describes why he and many others discovered the channel:

"Then came Bernie and Mr. Imus and the young women on the Rutgers basketball team — and what followed was a fate arguably worse than death: Morning Joe and Mika Brzezinski in the Imus slot on MSNBC."

12 comments:

Dee said...

Thanks for the link college girl. I printed it out and mailed it to the CEO of my cable company along with my latest plea for RFD-TV.

Unfortunately while I was hunting for the CEO's address I found him on a list of donors to "Friends of Hillary". That was disturbing!

Bruce said...

College Girl always gets it right. Informative and entertaining. Thank you CG and keep up the great digging.

Bruce/Florida

Al said...

College Girl is actually Maureen Dowd in disguise!




lol

Dee said...

Bruce is right - CG, you're my favorite Imus blogger. All the good stuff you find is much appreciated.

laree said...

College Girl,

You are going to law school right?

Lexis Nexis

CollegeGirl said...

Y'all are too sweet.

Dee, good move on sending that article to the cable company. That IS disturbing about Hillary, though - gross. On the bright side, maybe he'll be in a good mood thanks to her NH success. (I just hope that his adding RFD-TV isn't a "fairy tale.")

Al, I wish I could get Stephen Colbert to do this blog, just like Mo Dowd did a couple months back...that would be pretty sweet...

Laree, I'm (hopefully) going to grad school, but not law school.

Al said...

Maureen Dowd did this blog?

When?..I missed it...what did she say? what did she do?

laree said...

College Girl,

We have someone going to Dusequen Unversity, the Law School, and I know he uses the Lexis Nexis, he is midway through his 2nd year. That's why I asked.

CollegeGirl said...

Ha...I meant to type "just like Mo Dowd did a couple of months back with her column"...my bad...

And good to hear about the law school student, hope he's doing well.

Al said...

Karith

Al said...

Fat Timmy Monday on Imus

Be there

CollegeGirl said...

Karith's website is hilarious - I love the quotes that pop up.

It will be interesting to see how the guys react to Timmeh the second time around. Geez, isn't Bob Schieffer available?