Monday, October 22, 2007

Lessons in Public Safety

Recently, the fire chief of Dallas gave a banquet speech at a local NAACP meeting. Chief Burns (no pun intended) is the first African-American fire chief of the city.

During his talk, he mentioned all of the struggles that the black community has faced over time:

“We’ve overcome so much,” Burns said, specifically naming bombings,
riots, assassinations, Don Imus and Katrina.


Now, as a naive college student, I feel a little presumptuous about lecturing about public safety to a fire chief, particularly the fire chief of the 9th-largest city in the nation. But here goes.

Pop Quiz:

1. Which of the following is the least destructive to a community, both physically and socially?

A. Bombings
B. Riots
C. Assassinations
D. Don Imus
E. Katrina

At first I was going to say, "Well, obviously D." But then I thought, wait. I had initially assumed that the fire chief was referring to Hurricane Katrina, which destroyed a city and claimed many lives. But he didn't specify. He could be talking about any woman named Katrina. He could be talking about the 80s band Katrina and the Waves.

So, OK, Chief, I agree that Don Imus is probably more dangerous than most women named Katrina. Definitely more dangerous than the people who wrote "Walking on Sunshine." I'll spot you on that one.

But riots? Bombings? Assassinations? This part I don't understand. Because come on, riots, bombings, and assassinations are much more lethal than a crazy old guy on MSNBC, right? I mean, Don Imus has done some harmful things in his life. But his weapons are usually words. And words rarely inflict the physical damage that riots and bombings and assassinations wreak, the kind of damage that leaves people and communities "scarred for life."

Wait...never mind...

4 comments:

Al said...

All this is so amusing...

Amazing how the words from a guy in a cowboy hat, torn Wrangler jeans and a belt buckle the size of Texas can scare the bee-jeezuz out pf people...


lol


Rock on, I-Man!!!!

CollegeGirl said...

Are you talking about this morning's NYPost article? LOL!!!!!! I'm going to do a post on that after I get back from class...:-)

laree said...

College Girl,

I live north of Dallas, when I first moved here, they decided to change the administrators of Dallas School Systems. They decided if you were not bi-lingual and by bi-ligual they meant you also spoke Spanish, you couldn't be an administrator in the Dallas School System. File this under you can't make this stuff up. America's recognized language American English. American Citizens' want an administrator's position in Dallas School System (Must speak dual Spanish language) yeah we're screwed. Multi Culturism comes first, I don't want to know what comes next.

CollegeGirl said...

Laree, one of my friends comes from right outside Dallas, just like you. She's told me some crazy stories about it.