Saturday, October 13, 2007

And the Band Played On

How has it been six months since Imus has been off the air? Anybody know? I don't, but this weekend (October 13) marks that date.

If I owe "Imus in the Morning" anything, it would be their introducing me to the music of the Band. Pre-Imus, if you had asked me about their work, the only song I would have named was "you know, that one song, the one that goes, 'Take a loan off Fannie, take a loan for free?' Or something." (For all I knew, it was a song about scamming a mortgage payment off of Fannie Mae.)

I don't remember what song it was that got me hooked. It could have been the aforementioned "The Weight," or it could have been "Long Black Veil" or "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." I do know that I bought their music soon afterwards, and that they are now one of my favorite bands of all time.

So in honor of this not-so-auspicious occasion, here are the lyrics to "Ophelia," one of my favorite songs by the Band. (Incidentally, the person in the painting is Ophelia, Hamlet's potential sweetheart, from the Shakespeare play. I don't think the Band was writing about her, but hey, it's a beautiful painting.)

Boards on the window, mail by the door
Why would anybody leave so quickly for?
Ophelia, where have you gone?


The old neighborhood just ain't the same
Nobody knows just what became of Ophelia
Tell me, what went wrong?

Was it something that somebody said?
Mama, I know we broke the rules
Was somebody up against the law?
Honey, you know I'd die for you

Ashes of laughter
The ghost is clear
Why do the best things always disappear, like Ophelia?

Please, darken my door

Was it something that somebody said?
Honey, you know we broke the rules
Was somebody up against the law?
Honey, you know I'd die for you

They got your number, scared and running
But I'm still waiting for the second coming of Ophelia

Come back home

6 comments:

Al said...

OMG, CollegeGirl! The Band!!

They made a movie called "The Last Dance"....You must rent the DVD, Girl...with Guest artist, Eric Clapton, Van 'the Man' Morrison...

Oh man, What memories...

and about 15-20 yrs ago, The Levon Helm Band went around to college campus' giving FREE, outdoor Concerts! couldn't believe it when I read that they were coming to New Mexico...

And of course, I got there early and positioned myself up close, sitting on the grass, right in front of them...

It was AWESOME!! One of life's little highlights...

Totally...Levon ROCKS!

Al said...

...actually, the movie was called The Last Waltz...

take a load off and watch that movie!

laree said...

Virgil Kane is my name, and I worked on the Danville Train, till Stoneman's Cavalary came and tore up the track again...Robie Robertson went solo, he even has a myspace page.

CollegeGirl said...

Al, that is an AMAZING story...I can't even imagine what it must be like to see Levon in person. You are so lucky.

I have been procrastinating about renting "The Last Waltz" for awhile, and now I just might get it! :-)

Laree, it'll be good to see what Robertson's up to. Thanks for the tip. I haven't really followed him as opposed to Levon.

laree said...

College Girl,

Robbie did a duet with Maria McKee, I like Rockabilly, she used to front a group called "Lone Justice" I love Lone Justice, anyone who likes Rockbilly should check their old stuff out. After the Flood, and Ways to be Wicked. Speaking of Rockabilly,I wonder what Dwight Yoakam is doing ?

I just read that Barbara Walters is going to interview Imus, in a special...go tell it on the Mountain SMILE.

Save Imus said...

Get your "I Love Imus" shirts, hats, buttons, stickers and more at:


www.cafepress.com/SaveImus


THE I-MAN RETURNETH!!!!