Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Spanning the Continent

Neil Best did a nice profile on Chris Carlin a few days ago. I think most people would be shocked to know that the guy who delivered the most celebrated sports call in Rutgers history, “Pandemonium in Piscataway,“ was the sportscaster on “Imus in the Morning.“

(Best, incidentally, was the journalist that people kept haranguing all summer for Imus updates. He did a stellar job in mining his sources and soothing the nerves of irate I-fans, so kudos to him. His blog, Watchdog, covers sports media in the New York metropolitan area.)

Best’s article reports that Carlin was home sick when Imus uttered his infamous words. Neil calls it “the best-timed flu in WFAN history.” Um, seriously.


Incidentally, I went to the WFAN site the other day and found out that they make someone, presumably an intern, write up a daily summary of the Boomer and Carton Show. They’re interesting, even though the writer is apparently allergic to commas.

Here’s an entry from the 9/12 edition:

Yesterday Carton made a bet with Chris Carlin saying there weren't ten teams in college football who had eight home games this season and if there were Carton would buy breakfast for all of us. Carlin found twelve and Carton lived up to his word making Carlin a very happy man as he said,"Carton God bless you and God bless bacon."

And it’s accompanied by this picture:





I'm going to miss Carlin.

7 comments:

Al said...

Well, you can always listen to Carlin from 5-6am on the 'FAN...

Anyway, I think he's on at that time....ALL by himself.

CollegeGirl said...

Yeah...but it won't be the same without the other 5 or 6 people that used to accompany him in the morning...

imusfan said...

I agree, collegegirl - I miss them all!

I do listen to Chris calling the RU football games, on the internet from the Rutgers football website (RU is my "alma mater"). I think he does a great job, and I love his familiar voice on a radio station I'm not boycotting.

laree said...

All,

Does this mean we can start calling Carlin "Bacon Boy" LMAO

CollegeGirl said...

That's awesome, Imusfan. Also,I'm so glad that Carlin was able to keep his Rutgers job after the controversy - even though he didn't do anything, I was a little worried that the Rutgers people would dump him because of his association. A silly fear, fortunately.

If you don't mind me asking, what was it like to be an Imus fan and a Rutgers alum when the controversy hit?

CollegeGirl said...

Laree, I guess we finally can. That picture of him happily holding the tub of bacon cracks me up.

the i-fan said...

Chris will be missed but the I-Man will find someone else to do sports. Just like Sid who stepped in for Patrick McEnroe etc etc. The one thing that is certain is that no one will ever live up to the genius that was Mike Breen