Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Dolphins Make Him Cry


We all know Keith Olbermann’s story by now. Imus promotes Olbermann, and Keith’s ratings go up; Imus gets in trouble, and Keith lobbies to get him fired. It’s the same thing we saw a hundred times during that terrible week last April.

Keith claimed on Countdown that Don Imus’ regrettable behavior warranted his firing. But Keith is a hypocrite - for he has outshamed our I-Man in a far worse area. No, it’s not betraying the person who frequently supported you - much worse than that. While Don Imus has done some regrettable things in his life…at least he has never starred in a Hootie and the Blowfish video.

Yes, that’s right. In a cameo reminiscent of Orson Welles and Alfred Hitchcock, Keith Olbermann guest-starred in the masterpiece that rivals Kurosawa and Kubrick’s best work - the 1995 music video to that chart-topping paean “Only Wanna Be With You.”

Unless you’re into 90s nostalgia, there is really no reason to watch this video. My good friend Caroline and I tried to decipher the plot, and failed. (Of course, we WERE laughing hysterically and mocking it mercilessly, so maybe we weren’t paying the best attention…) Essentially, Hootie and company make asses of themselves playing sports. All the while they are tsked over by various sports celebrities - including Dan Marino, who by the end of the video is reduced to a staring, shell-shocked torture victim. Finally, in a plot twist resembling William Shakespeare, they go a bar and fail at billiards.

Also, there is a LOT of homoerotic interaction between Hootie and his Blowfish. (Weren’t they supposed to be a Christian band?)

So whenever you get too steamed what Keith Olbermann did to Imus, or his ridiculous remarks in general…just think of Hootie. And remember that we ALL have skeletons in our closet.

If I were Bill O’Reilly, I would show this video every single day.


Hootie and the Blowfish - "Only Wanna Be With You" (video)

10 comments:

laree said...

College Girl,

I thought Hootie and the Blowfish started out as a bar band? I could be wrong because although (I admit to owning the CD) I don't really know that much about the band? They loved sports I think their follow up effort was called "Fair Weather Johnsons" which would seem to fit KO. to a tee.

laree said...

College Girl,

This latest KO incident reminds me of when Imus's record cover for "This Honky's Nuts" was inserted in Dan Abrams program.

MSNBC, do we have someone on the inside?

http://insidecable.blogsome.com/2007/09/14/countdown-loses-last-segment/

Al said...

To my recollection, 'Imus in the Morning' never used a Hootie and the BlowThis music bumper which says alot about Hootie and the BlowThis...

...and Kurosawa and Kubrick? Aren't they the current morning guys at WBAC radio? Notice I wrote CURRENT morning guys....

imusfan said...

I think they were a bar band - they started at Univ of South Carolina I think, where they went to school. I also admit to owning (and liking) their first CD.

Now they're a pricey wedding band (at least they played for Tiger Woods' wedding as I recall)

laree, I loved your reference to KO and Fair Weather Johnsons - especially considering Imus' definition of a Johnson.

CollegeGirl said...

Laree - LOL at Fair Weather Johnsons.

I saw a video of that "This Honky's Nuts" clip that was "accidentally" on Dan Abrams' show... HYSTERICAL. That is solid gold television, right there.

Oh, and Imusfan...you and Laree shouldn't feel bad about owning the Hootie CD, because I totally own it too...:-)

CollegeGirl said...

Al - speaking of inapropriate music, does anyone remember last year when Imus once played Justin Timberlake's "SexyBack" as a bumper, and everyone made fun of him? Hilarious. :-)

Al said...

College Girl? Justin Timberlake song? Is that the one that Imus kept playing over and over and over....and over?...lol

As I sit here, munchin' on my Imus Ranch Taco, anyone heard from Deirdre, btw? She's an impact player too!

CollegeGirl said...

From what I've heard, Deirdre has won an honorary degree from Pace University, her "Greening the Cleaning" book was selling well, and she and her husband are going to be honored at a Long island autism award sometime this fall.

In other words...pretty good!

imusfan said...

I love this! The boycott lives.

Morning programs P2+ (25-54)
FOX & Friends – 939,000 viewers (356,000)
American Morning – 374,000 viewers (142,000)
MSNBC Live (7-9am) – 174,000 viewers (61,000)
Robin & Co. – 217,000 viewers (82,000)

CollegeGirl said...

Imusfan - when I read those numbers, I did an evil mad scientist laugh. Thank you. :-)