Thursday, August 30, 2007

I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry

It's sort of a badly-kept secret that Chuck McCord writes the comedy bits featuring Larry Kenney. Together, the two men have created many memorable, witty characters - Jerry Falwell and General Patton come to mind.

Larry Kenney has had a colorful career outside of "Imus In The Morning" - he's done scores of voices and participated in many projects over the years. (This Wikipedia entry should give you an idea.) He provided the voice for Lion-O of the "Thundercats," and he's the announcer for the "Best Week Ever" series on VH1. He's also done the voices of Count Chocula and Sonny the Coco Puffs Bird - two staples of my after-school cartoons as a kid. (It's too bad that he never voiced the Cocoa Pebbles commercials - because then Mr. Kenney would hold complete world domination over chocolate cereal.)

We don't know where Don Imus will be when he comes back to radio, but I certainly hope that Larry Kenney will be right there with him.

In the meantime, I found this old "Best Of Kenney" montage in a remote, dusty corner of the Internet. (Well, OK, I found it on northeastairchecks.com.) It's from the old WNBC days in 1982, and it's hysterical.

(In my opinion, the funniest one is the "Reach Out And Crush Someone" bit. Seriously, that thing is demented as hell.)

Best of Larry Kenney on "Imus In The Morning" - 1982

4 comments:

laree said...

College Girl,

I remember when Larry was the voice of Jack Nicholson, I don't know that anyone did Jack, better then Larry. I do hope he comes back with Imus.

CollegeGirl said...

As do I, Ree. The Nicholson was good.

What's sad is that I doubt they'll bring back the gay fashion designer character (was it Greg?), because people will jump to conclusions and think that we have a "Laramie Project" situation on our hands. Sigh.

Al said...

Yeah, bummer, no more Greg...Kenney's characters are hysterical.

Kenny and everyone else has to be on their best behavior from now on, I guess...

Why they certainly wouldn't want to offend anyone...

People are SO sensitive these days....

CollegeGirl said...

Seriously, Al, I agree. (Rolls eyes.) I wish people wouldn't be so fearful and horrified about the possibility of being "offended." I'm a big believer in the "If you're disgusted by the show, change the channel" POV.